585 Squadron Newsletter
FROM THE COMMANDING OFFICER
As a sqn of young ladies and gentlemen in a small area, you are a dynamic group!! These last three months have been very busy, not only with regular training, but volunteering your services within our surrounding communities. Those cadets who could, collected non-perishable goods Hallowe’en night, and more than half of the sqn assisted the Legion with Poppy Sales. The food was donated to the Lanark Interval House. They were overwhelmed and appreciative of your thoughtfulness, and the Legion was most thankful for your support.
Remembrance Day was also represented by over 90% of the cadets in Perth, Smiths Falls, and Toledo collectively. A huge thank you to our trumpeters, OCdt Vignuzzi and FSgt Johnston, Cenotaph Guards, and to each cadet, officer, and parents who were able to attend for another day of success.Our next big commitment is Tagging in Perth and Smiths Falls. This is a mandatory activity where all donations go directly to the squadron. These monies assist in off-setting trips on March Break and the end of year. We tag in the Fall and again in the Spring, do come out and support your squadron.
National Courses applications are coming due quickly. Capt. Cordy is compiling the information and preparing it for submission.
Our Level 5 cadets will be participating in workshops in Connaught on November 24th and 25th. WO1 Bright will be instructing on the course.
Range and biathlon, ground school, and band continue weekly.
The Santa Claus Parade is coming up Dec. 8th at 5 pm. We plan on decorating the morning of the parade. More info to follow on this, and on the Cadet Christmas Party on Dec 19th at the Smiths Falls Legion.
We presently have 44 cadets on slate, and three more enrolled on Wednesday, November 15.
Captain P Irish
UPCOMING TRAINING ACTIVITIES
Regular Training – Every Wednesday evening from 18:00 to 21:00 hrs at 443 Wing, unless noted below.
Air Studies – Every Monday evening from 18:30 to 20:30 at the Wing.
Band – Every Monday evening from 18:30 to 20:30 at the Duncan J Schoular Public School.
- 24 & 25 Nov – Level 5 Workshop – Details have been provided to the participants.
- 28 Nov – Last day to return sold lottery tickets books to be counted in the prize draw
- 2 Dec – Connaught Range Training for Biathlon Team candidates – 9am to 12pm
- 5 Dec – CO’s Parade – Duncan J. Schoular
- Prize draw for lottery ticket sales
- 8 Dec – Smiths Falls Christmas Parade. Legion has requested band participation on a float.
- Float decorating in the morning, time/location TBC
- Float to Youth Arena for 4pm for judging
- Parade commences at 5pm
- 19 Dec – Christmas Dinner – Smiths Falls Legion, 7 Main Street. Details be confirmed.
Save the Date
- 6 Jan – Cadets Day at the Ottawa Senators Game – Details TBC
- 9 Jan – Regular Training resumes – CO’s Parade at Duncan J Schoular
- 12 Jan – Flying Scholarship Exams – Details TBC
- 19 & 20 Jan – Regional Biathlon – Gatineau (day to be confirmed)
- 21 Jan – Mock interviews for National Course Candidates – 443 Wing, 6:30 to 8:30 pm
- 26 Jan – National Course Interviews – Prescott. Details TBC.
LOTTERY CAMPAIGN – SALES INCENTIVE CONTEST!!
The annual Ontario Provincial Committee Lottery Tickets will be distributed throughout the month of September. Each cadet who sells their tickets, and returns them by November 28, will have their name entered into a draw for a free flight! The draw will happen during the CO’s Parade on 5 December. You want to be in the draw!
Don’t forget that proceeds from this Lottery are used to maintain the 24 gliders and 10 tow planes used for Cadet Glider training and familiarization and to support the special provincial events & programs for Ontario squadrons. Approximately 60% of the proceeds come back to us to fund the 585 Sqn training program for 2017-2018.
For our local lottery campaign to be a success, we require the cooperation and attentive efforts of our cadets and their parents. A critical aspect of the campaign is the safeguarding and accountability of the monies and tickets as well as their timely return. The books of tickets assigned to the Squadron are a liability to the Squadron whether they are sold or not. Which means that the Squadron pays for lost books of tickets, money that could be better spent on trips or training. As part of the campaign, each cadet and family is asked to sell at least one book of tickets (12 tickets) with total value of $60.
FROM THE SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE (SSC)
Interested in joining the SSC? The majority of the SSC members are parents of our cadets. If you have skills (accounting, fundraising, public relations, website, administrative, or secretarial) you think might be useful to the SSC or simply want to assist in any way possible, please contact one of our SSC members.
Read more about the Role of the SSC on the Squadron website.
2018-2019 Squadron Sponsoring Committee
Chair – Marc Baillon
Treasurer – Lynn Marsh
Secretary/Newsletter – Karen Bernique
Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 95 Liaison – Keith Anderson
Lottery Tickets – Tracy Ireton
Awards/Scholarships Director – Tara Johnston
Band Director – Cynthia Yuschyshyn
Member – Andrew Vignuzzi
Member – Carolyn Piche
Role of the SSC
The SSC provides the direct support to squadron operations; manages all squadron finances and fundraising activities; promotes honors, awards and trophies – special recognition; provides cadet recreational programs; acts as representative of parents; public relations with the community at large; and arranges annual special events such as mess dinners and the annual ceremonial review. The committee funds make possible supplemental optional activities and programs such as citizenship trips, recreational trips or other training events not funded by DND.
585 Rideau Squadron’s Sponsor is 443 (Rideau) Wing Royal Canadian Air Force Association (RCAFA). They generously host Squadron Headquarters (HQ) for weekly cadet training and on weekends as required, enabling the Squadron to carry out its training objectives. 433 Wing also provides the Squadron an annual monetary grant.
- Parade Night: Mandatory – Wednesdays *6:00 to 9:00 pm.* Dress: Uniform C2. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
- Activity Night: Will begin in Jan 2019. Optional – Dress: Civilian/Sports Clothing. 2018/2019 Details to be confirmed.
- Air Studies – Every Monday evening from 18:30 to 20:30 at the Wing.
- Band – Every Monday evening from 18:30 to 20:30 at the Duncan J Schoular Public School.
- Absence Request: If a cadet is unable to attend training, they must notify 585 Squadron staff by completing the Absence notification contact form on the website OR calling 613-283-9990; otherwise, their non-attendance will be marked as an unexcused absence, which counts against the completion of their training.
- Replacement Name Tags: If required see the Supply Officer.
- Uniform: Any issues with your uniform please see Supply ASAP to have it corrected. It is the cadet’s responsibility, not the parents, to maintain the uniform.
Check the Squadron website at www.585aircadets.org.
All cadets are responsible to check the Squadron website at least once a week for messages. At a minimum, the website Training Calendar and front page messages should be checked on the day preceding any cadet activity for the latest updated information.