585 Squadron Newsletter #3
FROM THE COMMANDING OFFICER
Parents and Cadets,
I would like to thank you for a wonderful first half for our training year. I’m sure most of you can agree it may feel like you just came back or joined the squadron just a short while ago. The accomplishments and progress you have shown are remarkable and I am proud of everyone of you.
To the senior cadets thank you for a wonderful Christmas dinner. The work you put in to plan and organize it showed at every level and was appreciated by all those who attended. To all cadets who received a parade position, again your hard work was recognized and congratulations to all.
I would like to take this time to also recognize the Smiths Falls Legion for their generous donations which went to purchase new equipment for the band, as well to help offset the loss of our tagday.
We would also like to thank the RCAFA 443 Rideau Wing, for their support in 2017, and look forward to working with both organizations in the next coming year.
To the Squadron Sponsoring Committee your support has been remarkable and the squadron has truly been fortunate by your support and dedication.
I wish you all the best for the holiday season and wonderful New Year!
Captain Allyson Cordy
IMPORTANT: Christmas Break is from December 22 to January 9 inclusive. There will be NO training activities during this time.
UPCOMING TRAINING ACTIVITIES
- 10 Jan – Regular Training resumes – 443 Wing – 6:15 to 9:15 pm – Range Day, Civilian Dress
- 12 Jan – Activity Night – Rocketry, Effective Speaking & Band Practice
- 13 Jan – Gliding and Power Scholarship Exams – Location TBA
- 13 or 14 Jan – Regional Biathlon Competition – Camp Fortune – Date and Details TBA.
- 05 Feb – Mock Interviews for National Course Applicants – Details TBA
- 07 Feb – COs Parade – Mandatory regular training night – 6:15 to 9:15 pm. Dress C1. Location – Duncan J Schoular School, Smiths Falls.
- For Parents – Join the SSC for coffee at 7:30 in the Library. Chat with SSC Members and any available Squadron Staff. Parade starts at 8:10.
- 10 Feb – National Course Interviews – Details TBA
- 24 Feb – Regional Effective Speaking Competition for Eastern Ontario Area – Details TBA
SAVE THE DATE
- March Break Trip – details TBC
- 28 Mar – Mess Dinner – Details to be advised
- 15 Apr – Triple AAA Career Expo by Air Cadets Canada – Details TBA
Smiths Falls Legion Activities – support may be required from 585. Exact requirements to be determined.
- 9 Apr – Vimy Ridge Memorial
- 6 Jun – Memorial Dedication for Afghanistan War Veterans.
- Parade Night: Mandatory – Wednesdays 6:15 to 9:15 pm. Dress: Uniform C2. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
- Activity Night: Optional – Fridays 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Dress: Civilian/Sports Clothing. Location and Activity type as follows.
- 1st Friday of the Month – Sports at St. Francis de Sales School, Smiths Falls
- 2nd Friday of the Month* – Rocketry, Band, and Effective Speaking at 443 Wing
- 3rd Friday of the Month – Sports at St. Francis de Sales School, Smiths Falls
- 4th Friday of the Month* – Games Night, Band, and Effective Speaking at 443 Wing
(*All evenings begin at 6:30pm.) Band will be from 6:30 to 7:30. Effective speaking will begin after Band practice.)
- Range training will resume in January. Date TBC.
- Air Studies: Optional training for flying scholarships – Mondays 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Dress: Civilian Clothing. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
FROM THE SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE (SSC)
It will be a great opportunity over the holidays to sell your Lottery Tickets to family and friends. Tickets and money will be due back mid-February.
Role of the SSC
The SSC provides the direct support to squadron operations; manages all squadron finances and fundraising activities; promotes honors, awards and trophies – special recognition; provides cadet recreational programs; acts as representative of parents; public relations with the community at large; and arranges annual special events such as mess dinners and the annual ceremonial review. The committee funds make possible supplemental optional activities and programs such as citizenship trips, recreational trips or other training events not funded by DND.
The majority of the SSC members are parents of our cadets. If you have skills (accounting, fundraising, public relations, website, administrative, or secretarial) you think might be useful to the SSC or simply want to assist in any way possible, please contact one of our SSC members.
Ontario Provincial Committee (OPC) Lottery Campaign – Sept-Dec 2017
Proceeds from this Lottery are used to fund the Air Cadet Glider Program and to support the special provincial events & programs for Ontario squadrons. Our squadron has been assigned 55 books of tickets. Approximately 40% of the proceeds will be directed to our own 585 Sqn training program for 2017-2018.
For our local lottery campaign to be a success, we require the cooperation and attentive efforts of our cadets and their parents. A critical aspect of the campaign is the safeguarding and accountability of the monies and tickets as well as their timely return. The books of tickets assigned to the Squadron are a liability to the Squadron whether they are sold or not, for example, we pay for lost books of tickets. As part of the campaign, each cadet and family is asked to sell at least one book of tickets (12 tickets) with total value of $60.
585 Rideau Squadron’s Sponsor is 443 (Rideau) Wing Royal Canadian Air Force Association (RCAFA). They generously host Squadron Headquarters (HQ) for weekly cadet training and on weekends as required, enabling the Squadron to carry out its training objectives. 433 Wing also provides the Squadron an annual monetary grant.
- Annual Validation Forms issued to cadets must be completed, signed and handed in to the Administration Officer OCdt Burrell as soon as possible.
- Absence Request: If a cadet is unable to attend training, they must notify 585 Squadron staff by completing the Absence notification contact form on the website OR calling 613-283-9990; otherwise, their non-attendance will be marked as an unexcused absence, which counts against the completion of their training.
- Replacement Name Tags: If required see the Supply Officer.
- Uniform: Any issues with your uniform please see Supply ASAP to have it corrected. It is the cadet’s responsibility, not the parents, to maintain the uniform.
Check the Squadron website at www.585aircadets.org.
All cadets are responsible to check the Squadron website at least once a week for messages. At a minimum, the website Training Calendar and front page messages should be checked on the day preceding any cadet activity for the latest updated information.