585 Squadron Newsletter
FROM THE COMMANDING OFFICER
After another successful training year, the cadets have worked hard to prove their dedication to the squadron by participating in local, regional, provincial and national competitions and training. I thank you for all your efforts that you have demonstrated throughout the year.
Supporting the cadets through all their accomplishments are a group of devoted staff, officers and volunteers. They are to be commended for an exceptional job in preparing our youth for present and future endeavors.
I would like to thank our sponsors, community supporters and squadron sponsoring committee for their support this year. Being available for the cadets has provided opportunities for their continued development and success.
As we lead into the summer many of you will be heading to Cadet Summer Training Centers as course candidates or staff, I wish you all the very best of luck. Further congratulations to be extended to our candidates that have been chosen to attend national courses.
Everyone please have a safe and wonderful summer, and I look forward to seeing all those who are returning in the fall.
Captain Allyson Cordy
- 16 May – Mini ACR with Awards Ceremony – Smiths Falls Youth Arena
- Regular arrival time for Cadets. Guests to be seated by 7:45PM
- 18 & 19 May – Summer Biathlon – Moffitt Farm, Kemptville – Time TBC
- Friday – Seniors arrive Friday Night for set up
- 27 May – Annual Cadet Review (ACR) – Smiths Falls Youth Arena
- 9AM Arrival for Cadets. Guests to be seated by 12:45PM.
- 28 May – Brockville 870 ACR – Band to Perform
- 1 & 2 Jun – Year End Trip – Details Sent home with Cadets
- 3 Jun – Fly-In Breakfast – Smiths Falls Airport – In Summer Dress Uniform – Timing TBC
- Transportation not provided.
UPCOMING TRAINING ACTIVITIES
- 5 Sep – Regular Training – Recruits & Level 3+ – 443 Wing
- 12 Sep – Regular Training – All Cadets Return – 443 Wing
- 29 Sep – Range Training & ReQualification – 443 Wing
- Parade Night: Mandatory – Wednesdays 6:15 to 9:15 pm. Dress: Uniform C2. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
- Activity Night: Optional – Dress: Civilian/Sports Clothing. Remaining nights as follows:
- 18 May – Final Night – Rocketry at 443 Wing – 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- Practice Nights:
- 21 May – Band Practice – Brockville Armories – 6:30pm
- 21 May – Flag Party Practice – 443 Wing – 6:30pm to 8pm
FROM THE SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE (SSC)
The SSC Committee is looking to fill the position of Secretary. If you can fill this position, please let us know. The SSC Committee meets once per month. Responsibilities including taking and publishing meeting minutes.
Role of the SSC
The SSC provides the direct support to squadron operations; manages all squadron finances and fundraising activities; promotes honours, awards and trophies – special recognition; provides cadet recreational programs; acts as representative of parents; public relations with the community at large; and arranges annual special events such as mess dinners and the annual ceremonial review. The committee funds make possible supplemental optional activities and programs such as citizenship trips, recreational trips or other training events not funded by DND.
The majority of the SSC members are parents of our cadets. If you have skills (accounting, fundraising, public relations, website, administrative, or secretarial) you think might be useful to the SSC or simply want to assist in any way possible, please contact one of our SSC members.
585 Rideau Squadron’s Sponsor is 443 (Rideau) Wing Royal Canadian Air Force Association (RCAFA). They generously host Squadron Headquarters (HQ) for weekly cadet training and on weekends as required, enabling the Squadron to carry out its training objectives. 433 Wing also provides the Squadron an annual monetary grant.
- Absence Request: If a cadet is unable to attend training, they must notify 585 Squadron staff by completing the Absence notification contact form on the website OR calling 613-283-9990; otherwise, their non-attendance will be marked as an unexcused absence, which counts against the completion of their training.
- Replacement Name Tags: If required see the Supply Officer.
- Uniform: Any issues with your uniform please see Supply ASAP to have it corrected. It is the cadet’s responsibility, not the parents, to maintain the uniform.
Check the Squadron website at www.585aircadets.org.
All cadets are responsible to check the Squadron website at least once a week for messages. At a minimum, the website Training Calendar and front page messages should be checked on the day preceding any cadet activity for the latest updated information.