585 Squadron Newsletter
FROM THE COMMANDING OFFICER
I would like to take the opportunity to discuss the importance of Tag Day. This mandatory fundraiser is used to help with purchasing new equipment, and assist paying for activities that are not sponsored by DND. I can not stress the importance of having a full complement of cadets to support this event. The year end trip this year will be a major cost to the squadron and the tagday helps cover only a portion of this activity.
This time of year can get fairly busy with flying, gliding, spring field training and the final ACR. I would ask that if your absent from any training you communicate with administration by phone or the email option on our website.
Camp offers are being distributed and it is very important that these come back ASAP. Our cut off date is the 31st of April for the first released courses. If these are not accepted they will be removed and offered to another candidate on a wait list.
Captain Allyson Cordy
UPCOMING TRAINING ACTIVITIES
- 21 Apr – Tag Day – Mandatory Participation – Details TBA
- 28 Apr – Power Flight Familiarization – Details sent home with Cadets on Apr 11
- 02 May – COs Parade – Mandatory regular training night – 6:15 to 9:15 pm. Dress C1. Location – Duncan J Schoular School, Smiths Falls.
- For Parents – Last one of the season. Join the SSC for coffee at 7:30 in the Library. Chat with SSC Members and any available Squadron Staff. Parade starts at 8:10.
- 04 to 06 May – Spring FTX – Details TBA
- 12 May – Gliding – Details sent home with Cadets on Apr 11
- 19 May – Summer Biathlon – Details TBA
- 27 May – Annual Cadet Review (ACR) – Details TBA
- 1 & 2 Jun – Year End Trip – Details TBA
- 3 Jun – Fly-In Breakfast – Details TBA
Smiths Falls Legion Activities – support may be required from 585. Exact requirements to be determined.
- 6 Jun – Memorial Dedication for Afghanistan War Veterans.
- Parade Night: Mandatory – Wednesdays 6:15 to 9:15 pm. Dress: Uniform C2. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
- Activity Night: Optional – Dress: Civilian/Sports Clothing. Remaining nights as follows:
- 20 Feb – Rocketry at 443 Wing – 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- Other nights to be advised.
- Band Practice: Monday’s – 443 Wing – 6:30 to 8:30 pm
FROM THE SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE (SSC)
Role of the SSC
The SSC provides the direct support to squadron operations; manages all squadron finances and fundraising activities; promotes honors, awards and trophies – special recognition; provides cadet recreational programs; acts as representative of parents; public relations with the community at large; and arranges annual special events such as mess dinners and the annual ceremonial review. The committee funds make possible supplemental optional activities and programs such as citizenship trips, recreational trips or other training events not funded by DND.
The majority of the SSC members are parents of our cadets. If you have skills (accounting, fundraising, public relations, website, administrative, or secretarial) you think might be useful to the SSC or simply want to assist in any way possible, please contact one of our SSC members.
Ontario Provincial Committee (OPC) Lottery Campaign – Sept-Dec 2017
Lottery draw is April 19th – winners to be announced.
Proceeds from this Lottery are used to fund the Air Cadet Glider Program and to support the special provincial events & programs for Ontario squadrons. Our squadron has been assigned 55 books of tickets. Approximately 40% of the proceeds will be directed to our own 585 Sqn training program for 2017-2018.
For our local lottery campaign to be a success, we require the cooperation and attentive efforts of our cadets and their parents. A critical aspect of the campaign is the safeguarding and accountability of the monies and tickets as well as their timely return. The books of tickets assigned to the Squadron are a liability to the Squadron whether they are sold or not, for example, we pay for lost books of tickets. As part of the campaign, each cadet and family is asked to sell at least one book of tickets (12 tickets) with total value of $60.
585 Rideau Squadron’s Sponsor is 443 (Rideau) Wing Royal Canadian Air Force Association (RCAFA). They generously host Squadron Headquarters (HQ) for weekly cadet training and on weekends as required, enabling the Squadron to carry out its training objectives. 433 Wing also provides the Squadron an annual monetary grant.
- Absence Request: If a cadet is unable to attend training, they must notify 585 Squadron staff by completing the Absence notification contact form on the website OR calling 613-283-9990; otherwise, their non-attendance will be marked as an unexcused absence, which counts against the completion of their training.
- Replacement Name Tags: If required see the Supply Officer.
- Uniform: Any issues with your uniform please see Supply ASAP to have it corrected. It is the cadet’s responsibility, not the parents, to maintain the uniform.
Check the Squadron website at www.585aircadets.org.
All cadets are responsible to check the Squadron website at least once a week for messages. At a minimum, the website Training Calendar and front page messages should be checked on the day preceding any cadet activity for the latest updated information.