585 Squadron Newsletter #1
FROM THE COMMANDING OFFICER
Welcome back to all returning cadets. I hope that you had a fun and rewarding summer. Our new training year is now well underway and we have had new recruits sign up to take advantage of our amazing youth program. I ask all Parents/Guardians to take a look at the 585 Squadron calendar and get engaged with their cadets as we swing back into gear very quickly! – Capt Allyson Cordy
UPCOMING TRAINING ACTIVITIES
- 30 Sept to 01 Oct – Senior Leadership & Team Building Field Training Exercise (FTX) . Participation by Level 4 & 5 Cadets. Dress: Civilian Clothing- weather appropriate. Location – Moffitt Farm – 1384 County Rd 42 Kemptville.
- 04 Oct – COs Parade – Mandatory regular training night – 6:15 to 9:15 pm. Full Dress: C-1. Location – Duncan J Schoular School, Smiths Falls.
- 07 Oct – Gliding – Sign-Up sheets for all cadets; Permission slips required; Cadets to bring OHIP health card; Dress: Civilian Clothing – weather appropriate. 8:00 am departure to Brockville Airport.
- 14 Oct – Band Clinic – All day event for Band members. Dress: TBA. Location – Connaught Range Ottawa.
- Range Day – Date & Location TBD. Mandatory attendance for all cadets. Dress: Civilian Clothing.
- 21-22 Oct – 585 Sqn Fall FTX – Mandatory participation for all cadets. Dress: Civilian Clothing-weather appropriate. Location – Moffitt Farm – 1384 County Rd 42 Kemptville.
- 28 Oct – Biathlon Training – Shooting. For Biathlon team members. Dress: TBA. Location – Connaught Range Ottawa.
- Parade Night: Mandatory – Wednesdays 6:15 to 9:15 pm. Dress: Uniform TBA. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
- Activity Night: Optional – Fridays 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Dress: Civilian/Sports Clothing. Location: St Francis de Sales School, Smiths Falls.
- Air Studies: Optional training for flying scholarships – Mondays 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Dress: Civilian Clothing. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
SAVE THE DATE
Upcoming November Events:
- Support to Legion Poppy Campaign – 4 Nov (Smiths Falls)
- Remembrance Day Services – 11 Nov (Smiths Falls, Perth, Toledo)
- Fundraising – Tag Day – 18 Nov (Smiths Falls, Perth)
- Santa Claus Parade – 25 Nov (Smiths Falls)
FROM THE SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE (SSC)
Role of the SSC
The SSC provides the direct support to squadron operations; manages all squadron finances and fundraising activities; promotes honors, awards and trophies – special recognition; provides cadet recreational programs; acts as representative of parents; public relations with the community at large; and arranges annual special events such as mess dinners and the annual ceremonial review. The committee funds make possible supplemental optional activities and programs such as citizenship trips, recreational trips or other training events not funded by DND.
The majority of the SSC members are parents of our cadets. If you have skills (accounting, fund raising, public relations, website, administrative, or secretarial) you think might be useful to the SSC or simply want to assist in any way possible, please contact one of our SSC members.
Ontario Provincial Committee (OPC) Lottery Campaign – Sept-Dec 2017
Proceeds from this Lottery are used to fund the Air Cadet Glider Program and to support the special provincial events & programs for Ontario squadrons. Our squadron has been assigned 55 books of tickets. Approximately 40% of the proceeds will be directed to our own 585 Sqn training program for 2017-2018.
For our local lottery campaign to be a success, we require the cooperation and attentive efforts of our cadets and their parents. A critical aspect of the campaign is the safeguarding and accountability of the monies and tickets as well as their timely return. The books of tickets assigned to the Squadron are a liability to the Squadron whether they are sold or not, for example, we pay for lost books of tickets. As part of the campaign, each cadet and family is asked to sell at least one book of tickets (12 tickets) with total value of $60.
585 Rideau Squadron’s Sponsor is 443 (Rideau) Wing Royal Canadian Air Force Association (RCAFA). They generously host Squadron Headquarters (HQ) for weekly cadet training and on weekends as required, enabling the Squadron to carry out its training objectives. 433 Wing also provides the Squadron an annual monetary grant.
- Annual Validation Forms issued to cadets must be completed, signed and handed in to the Administration Officer OCdt Burrell as soon as possible.
- Absence Request: If a cadet is unable to attend training, they must notify 585 Squadron staff by completing the Absence notification contact form on the website OR calling 613-283-9990; otherwise, their non-attendance will be marked as an unexcused absence, which counts against the completion of their training.
- Replacement Name Tags: If required see the Supply Officer.
- Uniform: Any issues with your uniform please see Supply ASAP to have it corrected. It is the cadet’s responsibility, not the parents, to maintain the uniform.
Check the Squadron website at www.585aircadets.org.
All cadets are responsible to check the Squadron website at least once a week for messages. At a minimum, the website Training Calendar and front page messages should be checked on the day preceding any cadet activity for the latest updated information.
For questions about event scheduling and Squadron operations, please contact the Training Officer.
For questions concerning the SSC, please contact the SSC Chairperson.