585 Squadron Newsletter
SUMMER CAMP PARTICIPANTS
All cadets that are attending summer training will be contracted by Capt Moffitt with their travel orders. Traditionally, these are released one week prior to departure.
JOINING INSTRUCTIONS for all camps. Cadets must download the documents appropriate to their designated CSTC. Cadets and their parents or guardians must be thoroughly familiar with the contents, especially the Kit List. If you have any questions, contact the DCO, Capt Buckley, using the contact form on the website
UCDSB Cadet Summer Coop Program Cadets enrolled in high school are urged to take advantage of the opportunity to earn high school co-op credits for cadet summer training. The Upper Canada District School Board (UCDSB) are the administrators of the program for all schools and school boards. All cadets may apply, regardless of their school. Reports cards will be sent to the cadets’ home school at the end of the summer.
Parents/Guardians: Are you on Facebook? Follow the different Cadet Training Centres to get updates on your child’s camp. You may even find them in photos.
UPCOMING TRAINING ACTIVITIES
- 5 Sep – Regular Training – Recruits & Level 3+ – 443 Wing
- Civilian Dress
- Opportunity to review uniform components.
- 12 Sep – Regular Training – All Cadets Return – 443 Wing – Summer Dress
- 19 Sep – Regular Training – 443 Wing – Summer Dress
- 26 Sep – Change of Command Parade – Duncan J Schoular Public School.
- Regular arrival time for Cadets. Parade is from 7 to 8pm.
- Following Parade CO Capt. P. Irish will host a parent information session.
- 29 Sep – Range Training & Requalification – 443 Wing
- All Levels, All Cadets
- Civilian Dress
- 2 Oct – Fitness Testing – Duncan J Schoular Public School
- Civilian Dress appropriate for participation
- 31 Oct – Halloween – 585 will be canvassing door to door in Smiths Falls for Food donations to go to a local Non-Profit Organization. Details to be confirmed.
2017-2018 AWARD RECIPIENTS
Congratulations to all!!
For more information on the Awards, visit the Squadron Website.
O’Blenis Scholarship – WO2 L. Vignuzzi
Dick Donaldson Award for Top Recruit – Cdt S. Friedrich-Yap
Doug Walton Memorial Community Service & Citizenship – Sgt M. Moreau
Barry Charbonneau Memorial Award for Aviation Study – WO2 D. Weatherall
Top Overall Cadet – WO1 N. Bright
Cadet Medal of Excellence – WO2 I. Forest
Lord Strathcona Medal – WO1 N. Bright
Thomas Barr Memorial Award for Squadron Spirit – FCpl C. Bernique
Most improved Bandsman – LAC T. Stringel
Senior Leadership Award – WO2 L. Vignuzzi
Junior Leadership Award – Cpl G. Stringel
Senior Marksmanship Award – Sgt R. Johnston
Junior Marksmanship Award – Cpl A. Bencic
Dress, Drill & Deportment Award – WO2 M. Legere
Sam Cameron Memorial Award Aircrew Survival – Sgt A. Ireton
Dan Hammond Taking Flight – WO2 I. Forrest
Mike Shea Memorial Award Promoting Aviation – WO2 L. Vignuzzi
Royal Canadian Air Force Assn One-year free membership
Presented to: WO1 N. Bright, WO2 I. Forrest, WO2 M. McNeely and WO2 L. Vignuzzi
WO1 N. Bright
Cpl T. Merhi
Sgt O. Baillon
Sgt C. Marsh
- Parade Night: Mandatory – Starting 12 Sep 2018 for all Cadets. Wednesdays 6:15 to 9:15 pm. Dress: Uniform C2. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
- Activity Night: Optional – Dress: Civilian/Sports Clothing. 2018/2019 Details to be confirmed.
- Practice Nights – 2018/2019 Details to be confirmed.
FROM THE SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE (SSC)
Interested in joining the SSC? The majority of the SSC members are parents of our cadets. If you have skills (accounting, fundraising, public relations, website, administrative, or secretarial) you think might be useful to the SSC or simply want to assist in any way possible, please contact one of our SSC members.
Read more about the Role of the SSC on the Squadron website.
2018-2019 Squadron Sponsoring Committee
Chair – Marc Baillon
Vice Chair/Webmaster – Vic Weatherall
Treasurer – Lynn Marsh
Secretary/Newsletter – Karen Bernique
Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 95 Liaison – Keith Anderson
Lottery Tickets – Tracy Ireton
Awards/Scholarships Director – Tara Johnston
Band Director – Cynthia Yuschyshyn
Member – Andrew Vignuzzi
Member – Carolyn Piche
- Absence Request: If a cadet is unable to attend training, they must notify 585 Squadron staff by completing the Absence notification contact form on the website OR calling 613-283-9990; otherwise, their non-attendance will be marked as an unexcused absence, which counts against the completion of their training.
- Replacement Name Tags: If required see the Supply Officer.
- Uniform: Any issues with your uniform please see Supply ASAP to have it corrected. It is the cadet’s responsibility, not the parents, to maintain the uniform.
Check the Squadron website at www.585aircadets.org.
All cadets are responsible to check the Squadron website at least once a week for messages. At a minimum, the website Training Calendar and front page messages should be checked on the day preceding any cadet activity for the latest updated information.
*Next Newsletter to be issued Late August/Early September.