On this page I will will post ideas for activities that young people can engage in that don’t require congregating in large groups. If you have any such ideas send them to me using the notification form.
I will also post links to information sources that I hope will be useful. If you have an information source you would like to share use the same form.
Boots require regular polishing to look their best, especially when they are new. At the end of last year WO1 Nora Bright challenged cadets to get their boots as shiny as hers. Now she is Officer Cadet Bright at Royal Military College but still has to keep her boots shiny. But still has to keep her boots up. I asked her to send a picture for motivation which is below:
Boot polishing is something you can do while watching a movie. The time we have away from school and cadets is a great time to get your boots up to a level of shine equal to or better than Officer Cadet Bright’s.
Polishing boots is quite simple, but there are some misleading ideas floating around. Here are a couple of YouTube videos that will help you learn how to get the most out of your efforts. Remember, the point of polishing boots is not just making them shiny, it is to protect the boots from the elements. Don’t fall for the use of anything but good quality boot polish and water.
If you have any questions use the absence notification form.
I will discuss with Capt Cordy, WO2 Marsh, WO2 Baillon and the SSC how we can provide a little more motivation with some prizes for the best boots when we return to regular training. But remember, shiny boots are their own reward.
Books / Videos / etc.
Neil Gaiman Mouse Circus if you are a Neil Gaiman fan or just looking for something different.
The main Government of Canada site canada.ca/coronavirus.
How to self monitor – Public Health Ontario
A fun but informative video from the Mythbusters about how a virus can spread.
COVID-19 Related Scams
Sadly we have come to the stage in COVID-19 response where fraudsters are trying to profit from fear and uncertainty. Here is a list compiled by the Ontario Provincial Committee of the Air Cadet League. Be on guard. Here is the CAFC’s latest list of tricks that have been detected as of March 18th:
- Cleaning or heating companies offering duct cleaning services or filters to protect from COVID-19 offering “special” air filters.
- Local and provincial hydro/electrical power companies threatening to disconnect power for non-payment.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) the World Health Organization (WHO) offering fake lists for sale of COVID-19 infected people in your neighborhood.
- Public Health Agency of Canada giving false results saying you have been tested positive for COVID-19 tricking you into confirming your health card and credit card numbers for a prescription.
- Red Cross and other known charities offering free medical products (e.g. masks) for a donation.
- Government departments sending out coronavirus-themed phishing emails tricking you into opening malicious attachments tricking you to reveal sensitive personal and financial details.
- Financial advisers pressuring people to invest in hot new stocks related to the disease offering financial aid and/or loans to help you get through the shut downs.
- Door-to-door sales people selling household decontamination services.
- Private companies offering fake COVID-19 tests for sale.