585 Squadron Newsletter
** NEW REGULAR TRAINING NIGHT START TIME **
1800hrs (6pm) arrival, 1810hrs (6:10pm) formed up.
UPCOMING TRAINING ACTIVITIES
Regular Training – Every Wednesday evening from 18:00 to 21:00 hrs at 443 Wing, unless noted below.
Air Studies – Every Monday evening from 18:30 to 20:30 at the Wing. (Except Thanksgiving weekend.)
Band – Dates/Locations to be confirmed.
- 26 Sep – Change of Command Parade – Summer Dress – Duncan J Schoular Public School.
- Regular arrival time for Cadets. Parade is at 6:30pm.
- Approx. 7pm, Following Parade CO Capt. P. Irish will host a parent information session.
- Lottery tickets distribution. (See section below for more details)
- 29 & 30 Sep – Senior FTX – Moffitt Farm. Details TBC
- 3 Oct – Fitness Testing – Duncan J Schoular Public School
- Civilian Dress appropriate for participation
- 6 Oct – Gliding – Brockville – Details to be confirmed.
- 12 Oct – Activity Night – Location/Details to be confirmed.
- 13 Oct – Range/Biathlon practice at the wing. Time TBC.
- 14 Oct – Triple AAA Career Expo – Bus Transportation & Lunch included. Times TBC.
- This is a significant event for all cadets interested in a career in aviation, from aircrew to maintenance and aerospace engineering. More info at http://aircadetleague.com/2018-career-expo/
- 31 Oct – Halloween – 585 will be canvassing door to door in Smiths Falls for Food donations to go to a local Non-Profit Organization. Details to be confirmed.
- 1 Nov – Winter Dress starts.
- 3 Nov – Poppy Sales – Cadets to support Legion activities. Details to be confirmed.
- 7 Nov – CO’s Parade – Duncan J Schoular
- 11 Nov – Remembrance Day – Cadet Participation requested. Details to be confirmed.
- 17 Nov – Tag Day – Mandatory participation by all Cadets. Details to be confirmed.
Save the Date
- 1 Dec – Smiths Falls Christmas Parade. Legion has requested band participation on a float. Details To be confirmed.
- 5 Dec – CO’s Parade – Duncan J. Schoular
- 19 Dec – Christmas Dinner – Details be confirmed.
LOTTERY CAMPAIGN – SALES INCENTIVE CONTEST!!
The annual Ontario Provincial Committee Lottery Tickets will be distributed throughout the month of September. Each cadet who sells their tickets, and returns them by November 21, will have their name entered into a draw for a prize! The draw will happen during the CO’s Parade on 5 December. Prize details to follow, but you want to be in the draw!
Don’t forget that proceeds from this Lottery are used to maintain the 24 gliders and 10 tow planes used for Cadet Glider training and familiarization and to support the special provincial events & programs for Ontario squadrons. Approximately 60% of the proceeds come back to us to fund the 585 Sqn training program for 2017-2018.
For our local lottery campaign to be a success, we require the cooperation and attentive efforts of our cadets and their parents. A critical aspect of the campaign is the safeguarding and accountability of the monies and tickets as well as their timely return. The books of tickets assigned to the Squadron are a liability to the Squadron whether they are sold or not. Which means that the Squadron pays for lost books of tickets, money that could be better spent on trips or training. As part of the campaign, each cadet and family is asked to sell at least one book of tickets (12 tickets) with total value of $60.
FROM THE SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE (SSC)
Interested in joining the SSC? The majority of the SSC members are parents of our cadets. If you have skills (accounting, fundraising, public relations, website, administrative, or secretarial) you think might be useful to the SSC or simply want to assist in any way possible, please contact one of our SSC members.
Read more about the Role of the SSC on the Squadron website.
2018-2019 Squadron Sponsoring Committee
Chair – Marc Baillon
Vice Chair/Webmaster – Vic Weatherall
Treasurer – Lynn Marsh
Secretary/Newsletter – Karen Bernique
Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 95 Liaison – Keith Anderson
Lottery Tickets – Tracy Ireton
Awards/Scholarships Director – Tara Johnston
Band Director – Cynthia Yuschyshyn
Member – Andrew Vignuzzi
Member – Carolyn Piche
Role of the SSC
The SSC provides the direct support to squadron operations; manages all squadron finances and fundraising activities; promotes honors, awards and trophies – special recognition; provides cadet recreational programs; acts as representative of parents; public relations with the community at large; and arranges annual special events such as mess dinners and the annual ceremonial review. The committee funds make possible supplemental optional activities and programs such as citizenship trips, recreational trips or other training events not funded by DND.
585 Rideau Squadron’s Sponsor is 443 (Rideau) Wing Royal Canadian Air Force Association (RCAFA). They generously host Squadron Headquarters (HQ) for weekly cadet training and on weekends as required, enabling the Squadron to carry out its training objectives. 433 Wing also provides the Squadron an annual monetary grant.
- Parade Night: Mandatory – Starting 12 Sep 2018 for all Cadets. Wednesdays *6:00 to 9:00 pm.* Dress: Uniform C2. Location: 585 Training HQ – 44 Abbott Street, Smiths Falls.
- Activity Night: Optional – Dress: Civilian/Sports Clothing. 2018/2019 Details to be confirmed.
- Practice Nights – 2018/2019 Details to be confirmed.
- Absence Request: If a cadet is unable to attend training, they must notify 585 Squadron staff by completing the Absence notification contact form on the website OR calling 613-283-9990; otherwise, their non-attendance will be marked as an unexcused absence, which counts against the completion of their training.
- Replacement Name Tags: If required see the Supply Officer.
- Uniform: Any issues with your uniform please see Supply ASAP to have it corrected. It is the cadet’s responsibility, not the parents, to maintain the uniform.
Check the Squadron website at www.585aircadets.org.
All cadets are responsible to check the Squadron website at least once a week for messages. At a minimum, the website Training Calendar and front page messages should be checked on the day preceding any cadet activity for the latest updated information.